Friday, October 21, 2011

Doll Club

Once every month I get the chance to volunteer at Doll Club. Last Friday I volunteered to help with the craft, which was making a doll skirt and tote bag. The girls had to put elastic through the skirt and sew it down to create a Halloween skirt that their doll could wear.  Of course, to match the skirt the girls made a bag by sewing, by hand, the straps on. To go with the craft the museum curator brought out purses from the collection. The girls got to ooohhh and aahh over the ones made totally out of beads!
I got to talk to the girls about my platform, teen volunteerism, and how not only does my platform just reach out to teens, but also those younger. I said that if you volunteer now, you'll get in the habit to volunteer when you're a teen too!


I think the girl's favorite part about doll club is when they get to play with the dolls. The museum has a vast variety of American Girl dolls and their accessories! I watched the girls put on a pageant, so cute! :) I can't wait till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment