Sunday, April 29, 2012

Special Olympics

Torch run at opening ceremonies

The athletes compete in three events, here we are after the last event. We didn't want to be a distraction, so we didn't wear our crowns until then.

Allysa gave me a rubber duck wearing a tiara at the end of the meet. She won it in Victory Village for me.


Allysa in the softball throw. All the volunteers are so helpful, look at the coach beside her!

The softball coming at the camera!

Explaining the OT program to my buddy and her family. She had everyone there! Younger brother, grandpa, aunt, mom, dad!

he earned his medals in swimming

Victory Village, look at the frog hop!



Allysa in the 50 m run

               Helping out with Special Olympics was one of the most rewarding volunteer experiences that I have had! At the beginning of the day, I got to meet up with my buddy, Alyssa. I helped her to check into her events: standing long jump, softball throw, and the 50m run; then I got to watch and cheer her on as she competed. Her smile was HUGE when she won a medals in all of her events: a bronze medal in the 50m run and softball throw, and a silver medal in the standing long jump.
              After Allysa's events, we headed to Victory Village to get out of the baking sun. Victory Village is like a carnival for the participants. After playing one of the games, Allysa won me a rubber ducky that had a crown on it! She was so sweet!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment